Disclaimer: I was not compensated by Fiverr in any way for this post, but if you click over and order any of my gigs, I will receive compensation for my work – yay me! This is one of many ways I keep this site up and running. Once in a while you run across a goldmine of an idea and you want to immediately share it with the world! That’s how I feel about
Once in a while you run across a goldmine of an idea and you want to immediately share it with the world! That’s how I feel about Fiverr.com.
I ran across Fiverr.com last Fall when I found an article about it and how people were making lots of money doing these little $5 jobs. I like money – so I went over a checked it out. It looked pretty interesting, so after doing a bit more research, I set up a few $5 gigs of my own. Some of them didn’t take off, but one of them did – writing complaint letters for people. You’d be surprised at what people will complain about and how much they are willing to pay to have someone write a nice letter for them. Now I’ve expanded and I do Pinterest work for people. I help them optimize their Pinterest profile for their small business.
The base price starts at $5, but then you can add “extra” for more money – an extra $5 for same day service, $5 more for a two-page letter, etc. I’ve also added a new gig for fundraising letters because I’ve done a TON of fundraising over the years. I’ve done about 50 little jobs like this so far and I’m making a small, but growing income at this.
But to me, the real benefit is what you can BUY on Fiverr. You wouldn’t believe what you can get on that site for just $5.
1. Graphics or images. In order to be successful, every blogger needs great Pinterest-ready images for posts. But it was getting very time-consuming for me to create all my own images. So, I found a Fiverr seller who creates all my images. At first, I was able to get five images for $5, but now she’s wised up and offers just three images for $5, but still it’s a killer deal and saves me about 20 minutes per post. Here is a sample of one of the images by my Fiverr seller WhitneyLayne. She even does my watermark for me.
2. Research. When I was moving over from my old Blogspot blog to this new WordPress one, I needed to set up my categories and my tags. I suck at doing SEO research, so I was quite happy to pay another Fiverr seller to research the key words for me to find out if Parenting Tips would do better than Parenting Ideas or Tips on Parenting. Again it was a 5 searches for $5 deal, so I got all my site research done in one day for just $10.
3. Videos – There are people on there who will do logos, graphics, videos, drawings or just about any other kind of image work you can imagine. I found a seller who was offering TWO custom-made 30 second videos for just $5. That’s just crazy, so for the cost of about a soda, he created this nice video exactly to my specifications for my Debt Snowball gig.
4. Writing and editing gigs. This is one of the most popular categories on Fiverr. There are people on there who will proofread and edit ANYTHING, or will write an entire blog post for you starting at just $5. They’ll even do your homework for you, so you might want to warn your kids away from this site, or they’ll use up all their allowance paying people to do their homework!
5. Funny stuff. There’s a ton of just bizarre and crazy stuff out there, but some of it’s really fun. My youngest son and I are big Dr. Who fans. So for Christmas, I found a seller in the “Nerd” category who would create his name in Dr. Who’s unique circular language. It’s so beautiful, I’m going to have it printed on a t-shirt for him.
My contribution to the weird category is my little Catnip Pillows for Cats. I had just bought a sewing machine and had a lot of extra fabric lying around, so I made a bunch of cute little catnip stuff pillows for people’s kitties. Mine LOVE them. So far no one’s ordered any, but I’m hopeful.
But in the bizarre category, you can find all sorts of funny and unusual gifts for people. You could make a custom video for your husband’s birthday, have a name or favorite phrase laser-engraved on a rock, have someone belly-dance or make up a funny song for a friend who needs cheering up.
Quite literally the sky is the limit with this site. Pop over and see for yourself. Maybe even check out one of my gigs. I recommend the complaint letter one – everyone has SOMETHING to complain about and some of my letters have produced some great results.